[llvm-dev] LLD status update and performance chart

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 13 11:20:36 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Andrew Kelley <superjoe30 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> That said, I think the current our "API" to allow users call our linker's
>> main function hit the sweet spot. I know at least a few LLVM-based language
>> developers who want to eliminate external dependencies and embed a linker
>> to their compilers. That's a reasonable usage, and I think allowing them to
>> pass a map from filename to MemoryBuffer objects makes sense, too. That
>> would be done without affecting the overall linker architecture. I don't
>> oppose to that idea, and if someone wrote a patch, I'm fine with that.
>>

> As an LLVM-based language developer, this is exactly what I want to do. In
> short:
>
>  * Avoid depending on an external binary
>  * Avoid a fork+exec
>  * Avoid unnecessary use of the filesystem
>
> Does this feature compromise progress on the linker binary?

I don't think so. There is a function in the driver to open input files,
and you can make a change to that function.

Would it be reasonable for this feature to exist in the next minor version
> release of lld?

By the next minor release, do you mean the next LLVM release that's planned
early next year? If you write a patch, I can review (and Rafael would want
to take a look too).