[llvm-dev] LLD status update and performance chart

Rafael Avila de Espindola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 13 10:09:00 PST 2016

Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> writes:
>> Why? What is wrong with setting priorities and observing that what
>> library support we already have has had a disproportional cost?
>
> Can you please elaborate on this disproportional cost? I think it is really important to be specific about these kinds of things for the benefit of all potential contributors.

Yes. Getting the early shutdown code was way more work than it would
have been if this was just a program. The code is also quite ugly.

It also prevents us from sharing error handling functions with the COFF
linker.

So, please, I *BEG YOU*, let us write a linker. Once we have a
workning, production qualitity linker we can setup a performance
tracking bot and evaluate each librification change for its cost in
performance and code quality. We are just not there yet and not in a
position to take those patches.

Cheers,
Rafael