[llvm-dev] LLVM Documentation - How does it get updated?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 13 10:00:54 PST 2016

On 13 December 2016 at 17:45, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Over a month ago I submitted some patches to begin documenting PDB file
> format.  These files are in llvm/docs/PDB.  When I view the docs online
> though, they appear stale.  Many of the pages are blank, containing only a
> file header.  This matches up with my initial commit of the documentation,
> as I initially just created stub pages, but as I continued to improve the
> documentation, the website never got updated again.

Hi Zachary,

I can confirm the docs build normally on my machine, too. Did you
check when you first committed that the docs were good upstream?

> I built the documentation target locally and when I view the locally
> generated documentation, everything is fine.  So it is only a problem with
> the website.

I have Sphinx 1.5 here, but the website is using 1.4.5. What's the
version you're using?

I can see some warnings on my side, but there could be some errors on
the website, which would be the reason why they're empty.

My local warnings:

reading sources... [100%] yaml2obj
/home/rengolin/devel/llvm/worktree/docs/llvm/docs/CommandGuide/lit.rst:64:
WARNING: Duplicate explicit target name: "cmdoption-D".
looking for now-outdated files... none found
pickling environment... done
checking consistency... done
preparing documents... WARNING: search index couldn't be loaded, but
not all documents will be built: the index will be incomplete.
done

I also found some CMake errors on that build that I'll fix. No other
doc was being updated for a while...:(

cheers,
--renato