[llvm-dev] LLD status update and performance chart

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Dec 11 19:39:15 PST 2016

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 7:31 PM, Andrew Kelley <superjoe30 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for this exciting update about LLD.
>
> I will start experimenting with using liblld in Zig (http://ziglang.org/)
> instead of starting a child process to invoke the system linker. Once
> liblld makes it into the various package managers out there, this will be a
> big step toward painless cross-platform compilation.
>
> It should also reduce one of the compilation speed bottlenecks, since I
> could transition from writing objects to the file system to passing liblld
> LLVM modules directly. Is that correct?

LLD's driver currently takes only a command line argument strings, so you
need to write ELF files to a filesystem and read them back at the moment.

Theoretically, we could accept a list of command line strings and
MemoryBuffer objects (instead of filenames) so that we can link in-memory
ELF object files. Adding that feature shouldn't be hard.