[llvm-dev] Issues with DummyCGSCCPass used for IPRA

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 8 17:32:19 PST 2016

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 5:09 PM, Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert <maximecb at apple.com> wrote:
>
> You’re saying that we shouldn’t release resources until doFinalization?

Yes: this seems to be the semantic of your pass, you *need* to keep the results alive for the duration of the pipeline on the module you are processing for it to be correct. The doInitialization() and doFinalization() methods are the boundaries that indicates when the pass manager starts a module and end a module.

> That doesn’t seem like it solves the fundamental issue. The pass in question has its results cleared and recomputed multiple times. We don’t really understand why our pass is marked as dead when it’s needed later in the pipeline.

The fact that it is needed later is not enough, to avoid getting a call to “releaseMemory()” it also has to be marked as preserved by every single pass in the pipeline.

Basically your ImmutableAnalysis is a kind of “manually managed” analysis with state that you manage outside of the knowledge of the passmanager.

In any case it should always be “correct” to ignore the calls to releaseMemory(), I believe this is just an optimization: it semantic AFAIK is that the pass manager signals it does not know of a pass that will use the result of this analysis, so it can be free’d now to reduce the peak memory.
(In fact it is correct only if the runOnXXX() method can deal with the pass not being cleaned, but it does not matter for an immutable pass, it is never run).

On the other hand, doFinalization() should always clear the internal state for correctness though (it depends on the kind of state you have, but as a general rule…).

Hope this help.

—
Mehdi