[llvm-dev] Debug Locations for Optimized Code

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 7 13:03:34 PST 2016

I suspect that you misunderstand where ASan instrumentation is added. Unlike UBSan, which is added by Clang during initial IR generation, ASan instrumentation is added late (at the EP_OptimizerLast extension point).

You are correct, I did not know that.

I don't see any better way to get the location information at that point than using the existing debug info.

Let us distinguish between information carried around in metadata, and information emitted to the object file.
Seems like it would be completely feasible to flag a DebugLoc instance as "do not emit" and yet retain it in the metadata, rather than erasing it (overwriting it with DebugLoc()).  Then the ASan instrumentation can extract the file/line info from it, while we still decline to generate it in the DWARF line table.  ASan gets the info it needs, the debugger doesn't get the information that will distress the user.

Another possibility is to flag the DebugLoc for a moved/combined instruction as "not a statement" and cause this flag to suppress the DWARF "is_stmt" flag.  That idea would need a little more baking but feels like it could have potential.  Some debuggers might have to learn to pay attention to the flag, but that's the debugger's problem.
--paulr