[llvm-dev] invariant.load metadata semantics

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 25 13:12:08 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

Alternatively, we might phrase this as: The optimizer may assume that all values loaded from a location, where any of the loads are tagged with !invariant.load, are identical.

This has the benefit of covering the fact that no outside entity (i.e. the operating system) changes the value, and that we can change it, but only to the same value it had before (if we'll later be able to observe the difference).

-Hal