[llvm-dev] How to describe the RegisterInfo?

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 22 20:45:19 PDT 2016

If I understand right, on this arch, ‘uniform’ refers to values that only take one lane of register file instead of SIMD-width lanes, and they *share* the same region of the register file as non-uniform values. This is in contrast to e.g. AMDGPU where SGPRs (scalar GPRs) and VGPRs are separate register files.

If this understanding is correct, you may be able to define uniform and non-uniform registers separately, but make sure that one aliases the other, e.g. so that (if your SIMD width is 16) VGPR 20 overlaps SGPR 320, 321….335. So you can have 128 vector registers, 16*128 uniforms, or a mix of the two.

(Maybe some of the AMDGPU maintainers have thoughts?)

—escha