[llvm-dev] Memory scope proposal

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Aug 21 11:14:48 PDT 2016

On 08/17/2016 03:05 PM, Mehdi Amini wrote:

>> On Aug 17, 2016, at 2:08 PM, Zhuravlyov, Konstantin
>> <Konstantin.Zhuravlyov at amd.com
>> <mailto:Konstantin.Zhuravlyov at amd.com>> wrote:
>>
>> >Why not going with a metadata attachment directly and kill the "singlethread" keyword?
>> Something like:
>> >Something like:
>> >  cmpxchg i32* %addr, i32 42, i32 0 monotonic monotonic, 3,
>> !memory.scope{!42}
>> >  cmpxchg i32* %addr, i32 42, i32 0 monotonic monotonic, 3,
>> !memory.scope{!43}
>> >!42 = !{"singlethread"}
>> >!43 = !{"L2"}
>> >It is not clear to me if there is any correctness issues to dropping
>> metadata?
>> Yes, we cannot use the metadata approach since this metadata can be
>> dropped during the processing of one module but not dropped in the
>> processing of a second module, potentially resulting in inconsistent
>> scopes for synchronizing operations leading to data races and
>> subsequently leading to correctness issues.
>
> Right, I saw Sameer's explanation for that earlier, and we shouldn’t
> move forward (without Philip’s opinion on the topic as he expressed
> concerns).
Given my current time commitments, having me on the critical path for
any proposal is not a good idea.  I'm willing to step aside here as long
as the proposal is well reviewed by someone who's familiar with the
memory model.  Hal, Sanjoy, JF, Chandler, and Danny would all be
reasonable alternates.  Mehdi, if things get to the point where you
think they're good to go and no one else has chimed in, ping me.  I'm
not going to be following until then, but I'll make the time for a final
pass through if no one else has first.