[llvm-dev] [RFC] GitHub Survey - Please review

Justin Bogner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 19 11:35:16 PDT 2016

Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> writes:
> On 19 August 2016 at 18:20, Justin Bogner <mail at justinbogner.com> wrote:
>> The one time cost of the mono-repo proposal is drastically different
>> than that of the multi-repo.
>
> True.
>
> But maybe not as different as from one company / project to another.
> I'm assuming some people will suffer a lot more than others on either
> choice.
>

>> I already use git, but depending on how things are organized in the new
>> world this may completely change how I work with LLVM.
>
> It will, but you already work around with Git-SVN, which is a pain.

I think you misunderstood what I meant here. Whether "moving to git"
will affect my workflow depends very much on "how we're moving to
git". For example, if we do a monorepo, I may now need to lay code out
differently on my filesystem (since I currently check out multiple repos
rooted at llvm), or if we do a multirepo I probably need to learn some
new commands to associate llvm and clang repos (rather than using git
svn find-rev). If we do something where there's a monorepo of some of
the stuff but not all, I probably have to adapt to things from each.

What I'm saying is "How much will moving to git affect your workflow?"
isn't a meaningful question without concrete data on what the repos will
look like if we do move.