[llvm-dev] Should lld support binary output ("--oformat binary")?

Ed Maste via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 18 05:16:16 PDT 2016

One remaining blocking issue for linking FreeBSD with lld is the
inability to build the bootloader components. We have a patch[1] in
review to address one of the problems by switching to using a linker
script instead of GNU ld's -N option. Another issue is that some
bootloader components are created by the linker directly as binary
objects, using --oformat binary. (Other bootloader components are
built by creating a temporary ELF object converting that to a raw
binary using objcopy.)

Is binary output enough of an unusual use case that we're unlikely to
support it in lld?

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D7409