[llvm-dev] Git move survey

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 17 14:19:10 PDT 2016

On 17 August 2016 at 22:05, Tanya Lattner <tonic at nondot.org> wrote:
> I can put it in Google Forms/Docs (or you can if you prefer). Survey monkey
> is also an option but its about the same I think but more costly.. so lets
> go with free and easy.

Let's go free/easy. :)

I'll try to come up with something and see if it's at all possible to
have a review system based on Google Docs' comments (we use it quite
successfully at Linaro). It should be ok for "previously mostly
agreed" docs.

> Are you talking about the one repo versus many
> discussion? Otherwise, why wouldn’t there be one GIT proposal document that
> describes GITHUB versus SVN (pros and cons) and then people can give
> feedback? http://llvm.org/docs/Proposals/GitHubSubMod.html

Yes. There has been a lot of discussions on sub-mod vs. mono-repo, and
most people said we need both points reasonably well discussed and
consolidated to make the survey return more accurate results.

> I also don’t think this is a process that needs to be rushed. It will take
> awhile to publicize the survey and give people a chance to comment. Its more
> reasonable to give until Dec (1 month after the dev meeting BoF) give time
> for feedback.

Excellent! I agree with you.

> I would just make a note that the feedback may be made public and whoever is
> filling it out should be responsible for making sure its not releasing
> sensitive information. Everything should be anonymized of course.

KISS, I like it.

> I would use the BoF as a way to discuss in person but I wouldn’t put
> pressure to make a decision during it. It will probably become more clear
> when you start getting feedback.

That's good. I think we can have two summaries, one from the survey
and one from the BoF, and then take some time to digest and take the
decision later.

Leaving the decision for the BoF wouldn't be fair to all people that
didn't attend, even if we took the survey's results in consideration.

cheers,
--renato