[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] LLVM 3.9 RC binaries should NOT disable assertions.

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 16 01:07:42 PDT 2016

On 15 August 2016 at 23:57, Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> AFAIK there are no public bots for the release branches; it's just Hans or
> Tom, and their cadre of release elves, doing everything manually (?).

Yup.

> It's unlikely to be worthwhile to replicate the entire bot farm to watch release
> branches with their relatively tiny amount of activity and limited lifespan,
> but it might be worth having a representative set that could be pointed to
> each successive release branch as they occur.  We never (intend to) have
> more than one going at a time, IIUC, so relatively few bots would be needed.

I, unfortunately, agree with both sides. I think we should test what
we release and also agree we should test with assertions.

Buildbots won't scale, and if we only do a limited set, they might end
up being irrelevant and time wasting. Unless we make the whole process
done by bots (which was discussed in the past as is an interesting
idea), but that's hardly ever coming to light in the next few months.

I don't have a better solution than to put both binaries up for the
RCs, but that won't fix, because people will invariably pick one
instead of the other.

I don't even know what's the real value of the release candidate
binaries, as it seems not many people try them out via download,
instead of building their own, which would make this discussion moot.

cheers,
--renato