[llvm-dev] [LTO] Bypass the integrated assembler ...

Umesh Kalappa via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 9 04:16:55 PDT 2016

Hi Guys ,

We enabled the LTO on our code base and found that LTO uses the
integrated/builtin assembler to emit the final optimized code .O
(FileType= CGFT_ObjectFile) .

Can we bypass this semantic ,for something like you emit .S  file
(FileType=CGFT_AssemblyFile),

Then we pass this  .S file to our native assembler and  the linker
.....any switch/ options  do so ?

i.e  something like as we have   "-no-integrated-as" for clang driver .

Currently ,we thought of hacking the LTOCodeGenerator.cpp for the same .

The bottom-line is that ,we need to use our native assembler ,not the builtin .

Any thoughts on this ?

We are trying on 3.6 and 3.8 versions.

Thank you
~Umesh