[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 8 17:09:04 PDT 2016

> [...]
>

>> We've heard in thread from a lot of developers about how a monorepo
>> would improve their workflow.  I would love to hear from some
>> developers who are actually affected in the way you describe, rather
>> than just considering the hypothetical.
>>
>> My expectation is that the effect of the monorepo on said developers
>> would be relatively small -- we're talking about 1gb of disk space.  I
>> understand that there's a "yuck" factor to this, but inasmuch as there
>> aren't other concrete effects, this is just change aversion.  And
>> essentially all of the other effects of the monorepo can be hidden via
>> sparse checkouts, as we've discussed.
>>
>> Maybe I am wrong.  But I don't think we're going to get to the bottom
>> of it without actually engaging with people who are actually affected
>> in the way you posit.
>
> Ok, let me describe a few workflows I’ve used in the last year that are (in my mind) adversely impacted by a mono-repo.
>
> Case Study 1 - Simple development on a sub-project
>
> I build LLVM + Clang + Compiler-RT using the just-built Clang to build Compiler-RT. I iterate on some complicated Compiler-RT changes over a period of a day. Once my Compiler-RT changes are done I rebase the compiler-rt repo, rebuild compiler-rt then commit.
>
> With a mono-repo rebasing the checkout means rebasing the whole tree. So, either I have to wrangle some crazy git or CMake foo, or when I run “ninja compiler-rt” after the rebase it will rebuild LLVM and Clang too. That kinda sucks.
>
> What this example illustrates to me is that today we have loosely coupled projects with an occasional rev lock. Moving to a mono-repo enforces a tight coupling that isn’t strictly required today.
>
> Case Study 2 - Working on a sub-project in isolation across many platforms
>
> I did a lot of work on Compiler-RT last year that had no direct dependency on any other LLVM project. During the development I was working with a Compiler-RT checkout and a build directory of just Compiler-RT. Every once in a while (or every other day as it were) I would make a change that would break a configuration that I wasn’t directly developing on. My workflow for handling those cases was:
>
> (1) Spin up a VM on a VPS that closely matched the configuration I broke
> (2) Checkout Compiler-RT
> (3) Reproduce, debug, fix the failure
> (4) Commit the patch from the VM
>
> In a mono-repository doing this would require checking out *all* sub-projects, not just Compiler-RT. I imagine this probably isn’t a common workflow, but it is one I use that would be adversely impacted by needing to checkout a full LLVM. Now, you might say I could check out the sub-project mirror, but then I can’t commit from the VM, which kinda sucks.

So for the “I spin a VM and want to make a commit but don’t want to download a few hundred MBs with a git clone” story, it turns out that the github bridge with SVN helps to optimize with a “lean” checkout:

I fork the unified repo here: https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-project/commits/master <https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-project/commits/master> and then:  svn co https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-project/trunk/compiler-rt <https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-project/trunk/compiler-rt>

So that’s a net “no regression” compared to the current state :)

—
Mehdi