[llvm-dev] Target Acceptance Policy

Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 4 10:26:43 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 06:05:19PM +0100, Renato Golin wrote:
> On 4 August 2016 at 17:31, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > (1) The list says nothing about using (appropiate) LLVM infrastructure
> > like the MC subsystem. Should it be a requirements for (new) targets to
> > support the full source-to-object chain?
>
> This is a clear task for code review, not target inclusion policy.
>
> This list is supposed to be timeless, and adding any kind of specific
> technology would need updating all the time, and can even have
> conflicting views (like MCJIT vs ORCJIT vs the new cool toy), or the
> old pass manager, vs. the new one, or FastISel vs SelectionDAG vs.
> GlobalISel, etc.

The choice of ISel is ephemeral and not relevant outside the specific
target. MCJIT vs ORCJIT has very limited impact on both the target and
target neutral code. Using/supporting MC on the other hand is a decision
quite on the architectural level as it is a prerequirement for things
like MCJIT/ORCJIT. Note that I didn't say anything about requiring
AsmParser support, just MC.

Joerg