[llvm-dev] XRay: Demo on x86_64/Linux almost done; some questions.

Serge Rogatch via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 3 13:27:43 PDT 2016

Hi Dean,

I have a question about the following piece of code
in compiler-rt/trunk/lib/xray/xray_trampoline_x86.S :
  movq  _ZN6__xray19XRayPatchedFunctionE(%rip), %rax
  testq  %rax, %rax
  je  .Ltmp0

  // assume that %r10d has the function id.
  movl  %r10d, %edi
  xor  %esi,%esi
  callq  *%rax
What happens if someone unsets the handler function (i.e. calls
__xray_remove_handler() ) or changes the handler (i.e. calls
__xray_set_handler() with a different pointer to function) between "movq
 _ZN6__xray19XRayPatchedFunctionE(%rip), %rax" and "callq  *%rax" ? I
understood that the old handler will still be called, but isn't it a
problem? What if the code removing the handler starts destructing some
objects after that, so that a handler call would result in a crash or other
bad things?

The same concern for analogous code in __xray_FunctionExit .

Cheers,
Serge