[llvm-dev] Issue with HelloWorld pass

Alessandro Fanfarillo via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 2 21:12:22 PDT 2016

> Is “opt” here the same version as LLVMNewHello.so?

Yes, it is.

> Does round-tripping without loading your own pass work?
> Something like: opt < new_hello.bc > /dev/null

Apparently, even without the pass, I still get the same error.

> How did you generate the new_hello.bc file?

With this command: clang -O3 -emit-llvm testHello.c -c -o new_hello.bc

> Did you use clang? If so, did you use the same version of clang as your opt and your pass?

Here is the problem, thanks for asking this. Even though I installed
clang 3.8.1 with LLVM and I put the /llvm/bin path in my $PATH env
var, my system was using a different version of clang (installed in
/usr/local/bin).
Apparently, the llvm/bin patch doesn't get added to the $PATH
(https://github.com/Homebrew/legacy-homebrew/issues/29733).
Thanks for the support (thanks to Asit as well).