[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Revisiting our informal policy to support two versions of MSVC

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 2 12:49:08 PDT 2016

  -----Original Message-----

For my project, timing is everything.  We (and I could easily imagine,
for many downstream projects) lead time is important.  We've just had
a release branch, so making a *decision* right now that we *implement*
in 2-3 months is something we should find tolerable.  (We'd need to do
a bunch of internal validation, then deploy 2015 to all the developers
and all the bots... these things take time.)  I have already brought
this up with my management and we'll need to assign some resources to
it in order to start that evaluation.

> Maybe we can bring back the notion
> of  "last two versions" sometime in the future if MSVC functionality
> stabilizes a bit more.

You'd have to get the C++ committee to stabilize the language first. :-)
Seriously, MSVC 2013 would be distinctly less of a problem if people
weren't trying to use defaulted move constructors.  I think that's a
fine feature to want to be using, but it wasn't on the list back when
we decided to make 2013 the minimum version.  The developer community's
desired feature set has increased, so it's reasonable to debate moving
the minimum bar on that basis.

> > If we can support ten versions of MSVC with little burden, I don't see a
> > reason why we shouldn't.
> >
> > But if we find ourselves in a situation where asking folks to upgrade to
> > compiler which has been widely deployed soothes development for the
> greater
> > LLVM community, we should consider dropping support for the older
> versions
> > of that compiler.
>
> Totally agreed.
>
> > In this case, dropping VS2013 allows us to use more C++11 features with
> > confidence.  Notably, move constructors will be synthesized instead of
> > having to be manually written (and kept in sync with data members
> getting
> > added).
> >
> > What do you all think?  Are folks still stuck on VS2013?
>
> Assuming that we don't have any major barriers to dropping MSVC 2013,
> I am okay with it.

Same here.  We will need to do our internal validation first, and
I'd bet we aren't the only ones.
--paulr