[llvm-dev] RFC: We should stop merging allocas in the inliner

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 1 08:58:10 PDT 2016

The existing lifetime start/end is not very well defined (by spec, or by
code) in what it means, so you could have nested lifetime markers if you
wanted.   If you made the spec well-defined, they would be meaningful (for
loops, etc).

There are a number of open bugs/complaints about lifetime markers and the
fact that the scope is not well defined (the spec says "This intrinsic
indicates that before this point in the code, the value of the memory
pointed to by ptr is dead. This means that it is known to never be used and
has an undefined value. A load from the pointer that precedes this
intrinsic can be replaced with 'undef'.)

"Before" is not a well-defined term :)  (the end code says after, which has
similar problems)

Trivial case:

Two block loop consists, lifetime maker at beginning

|  ^
|    \
|    |
|   |
v /

Lifetime marker is at top of A.

Is B before A? (if not, are we using dominates as the definition of
"before", because B is a predecessor of A)
Does the answer change if i put a jump to B somewhere above A?
If we use dominates, and i put a jump there, i can make A and B dominator
tree siblings.  Is the pointer now invalid? :)

etc

I suspect what is really wanted is "i want lifetime markers to specify that
this thing has single-iteration scope, function scope, or SESE/SEME region
scope"  (or something).