[llvm-dev] function returning small-ish struct

Lawrence, Peter via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 29 19:04:25 PDT 2016

In the case of a struct small enough to fit in the arg-registers, I want my calling-convention to do function-result struct like function-arg struct, pass the result back in the arg-registers, and only resort to pass-by-reference in the case of large structs.

Has anyone else done this in an llvm backend, if so are the relevant source files in the public domain, and can you point me to them.
Also if so, is your solution entirely in the backend, or do you modify clang as well (to not use "hidden pointer argument").

Thanks,
Peter Lawrence.