[llvm-dev] RFC: EfficiencySanitizer Cache Fragmentation tool

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 22 17:38:57 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Hal Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov>

I changed my mind; don't ignore what I said. But let me propose a slightly-different design:

1. Just as you've described, collect counts in shadow memory for memory accesses.
2. For each relevant type, emit a function that knows how to collect counts from an array of that type into the struct-field counters .
3. When memory is freed, call the appropriate function to perform this accumulation.
4. If desired, also collect counts from stack memory (as I indicated below, although we'll need to call all of the relevant summation functions, and this could get expensive if they're not inlined).

In this way, we'll have no over-counting / under-counting problems; plus this is easily extensible to collecting per-allocation struct-field access stats (which is often desired). We can get everything at the same time, and might actually be less expensive when running on multiple cores (because they'll be less cache-line contention for the struct-field counters).

Thanks again,
Hal