[llvm-dev] [RFC] remove the llvm.expect intrinsic

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 22 10:55:01 PDT 2016

Sorry, I didn't realize that was the clang side.

I think it's kind of ugly that the frontend has to pattern match and lower
this intrinsic in three places: if, switch, and general case. The existing
intrinsic is nice because it directly represents what the user can write,
and lets the optimizer decide how to best represent it. As David Li
mentioned, we may want to do value profiling in the future, and if we
remove this intrinsic, we will have to come and revisit this code.

I think a single early pass to lower this intrinsic is a low cost to pay
for that simplicity.