[llvm-dev] RFC: EfficiencySanitizer

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 20 10:42:21 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Sean Silva via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Some of this data might be interesting for profile guidance. Are there any
> plans there?

Esan instrumentation is geared toward application level tuning by
developers -- the data collected here are not quite 'actionable' by the
compiler directly. For instance, struct field reordering needs whole
program analysis and can be very tricky to do for C++ code with complex
inheritances (e.g, best base  class field order may depending on the
context of the inheritance). Fancy struct layout changes such as peeling,
splitting/outlining, field inlining etc also requires very good address
escape analysis etc.   Dead store detection can be used indirectly by the
compiler -- compiler certainly can not use the information to prove
statically the stores are dead, but the compiler developer can use this
tool to find the cases and figure out missing optimizations in the
compiler.   Data working set size data is also not quite usable by the
compiler.

Esan's design tradeoffs are also not the same as PGO. The former allows
more overhead and is less restricted -- it can go deeper.

David