[llvm-dev] Move InlineCost.cpp out of Analysis?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 18 14:54:36 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 2:46 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> *From: *"Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at gmail.com>

I don't think that everything that is an analysis needs to be completely
general though. Certainly, we need to be very clear and careful in what
terms we describe the API to make the quality and nature of the results
unsurprising, but I think that the API around the inline cost is reasonably
good about that -- it seems to pretty clearly indicate that this is a
threshold determining mechanism and not something that provides a holistic
view of the impact of a potential inlining decision.

I actually think it would be good if essentially *everything* we can put a
reasonable public API around and which doesn't mutate the IR were moved to
the analysis library. As an example of why I think this, without this it is
very hard to know what code can be re-used in analysis passes. And the
constraint there is really exactly this: it has a public API that can be
re-used, and it doesn't mutate the IR. Nothing more or less that I see.

Naturally, we don't need to go on a campaign to move everything *right
now*, and we can even be fairly lazy about it, but I do think that this
direction is the correct long-term design of the libraries here.