[llvm-dev] error: unable to rename temporary

John Regehr via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 10 15:15:44 PDT 2016

When compiling using clang this happens about 2 times out of 1000:

error: unable to rename temporary '/tmp/rand000732-e14426.o-bc7be374' to
output file '/tmp/rand000732-e14426.o': 'No such file or directory'

Anyone else run into this? I'm not sure how to debug it.

I see this primarily during Csmith testing. It never happens to GCC,
only LLVM.  So either we have some kind of funny low-grade
nondeterministic bug in the file manipulation code or else Linux does.

Machine is running Ubuntu 14.04 and is otherwise rock solid. This is
ext4 on an SSD. There's no NFS or anything like that. Disk is far from full.

John