[llvm-dev] lld: --start-lib and --end-lib

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 5 19:51:24 PDT 2016

Rafael,

You seems to be the person who added --start-lib and --end-lib to gold
(*1), so I think you are the best person to ask about it. :)

What is the intended use case of the options? Do you think we should
support that in LLD?

If we want to support that, then I think we can think of two implementation
strategies:

 - Link object files between --start-lib and --end-lib normally and garbage
collect unused sections, or
 - create lazy symbols for object files between --start-lib and --end-lib
and handle just like archive files.

What do you think?

*1 https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2010-03/msg00233.html