[llvm-dev] RFC: Constant folding math functions for long double

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 4 13:45:22 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>

+1

> 2) I strongly dislike an optional dependency on MPFR. We shouldn't
> have critical functionality tied to system libraries IMO. I
> understand that it is a *lot* of work, but I think we need to
> produce or get contributed a reasonable implementation of these
> routines under the LLVM license. As an added benefit, we might be
> able to (eventually) share the code for them with a runtime library
> that provides portable implementations for systems where hardware
> support is lacking.
+1

The prospect of having Clang compiled with MPFR available produce different code, even on otherwise identical base systems, than Clang compiled without it seems highly undesirable (especially since we might have only small numerical differences as observable effects). Plus, there are licensing considerations in environments where we need to statically link LLVM (in JITs and such) that I don't think we want to impose on downstream developers/distributors.

However, the good news is that developing our own APFloat versions of these functions is relatively easy -- not easy in an absolute sense, but: 1) Unlike the libc implementations, we're not worried about raw performance on native types, 2) we can use large floats with a lot of extra precision easily, and 3) we don't need to use algorithms designed to be efficient for really-large bit counts (like MPFR does).

In this regard, it might also be helpful to look at: https://github.com/JuliaLang/openlibm (which seems to be very-permissively licensed and has reference implementations for all of the relevant algorithms in C).

-Hal

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist
Leadership Computing Facility