[llvm-dev] RFC: std::vector and identified objects

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 1 09:55:43 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

FWIW, this is one of the primary motivators for http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/n3988.pdf (which I need to get back to working on soon). The size is also important information (but likely not as important as the aliasing in this case - it is more important if you have conditional accesses and lack hardware predicated loads/stores).

In this case, where the object is local, I can imagine some smarter IPA (function attributes or otherwise) helping. I think that, in general, we'll probably need to provide some attributes that can be used to adorn the std::vector implementation, translated into some associated intrinsics and/or metadata, that will allow the backend to compute these various properties.

> Or is the inliner just doing a poor job?
Perhaps this too ;)

-Hal

> I can't imagine that in the common case inlining all the way to
> operator new() would be beneficial - it's only beneficial in this
> case because the object is newly constructed so all of the branches
> in __append can be folded away when inlining.

> Any information welcome :)

> Cheers,

> James

Hal Finkel