[llvm-dev] Operand bundles

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 11:07:17 PDT 2015

Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev wrote:
 > On 09/28/2015 06:34 PM, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:
 >> I missed the discussion on adding operand bundles to LLVM IR, can
 >> anyone send me a pointer to the proposal?
 >
 > http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2015-August/089070.html

Adding some more details below.

These are the changes that have gone in so far:

http://reviews.llvm.org/D12455: "[IR] Teach `llvm::User` to co-allocate
a descriptor."
http://reviews.llvm.org/D12456: "[IR] Add operand bundles to CallInst
and InvokeInst."
http://reviews.llvm.org/D12457: "[Bitcode][Asm] Teach LLVM to read and
write operand bundles."

Has not yet gone in, up for review:

http://reviews.llvm.org/D13082: "[FunctionAttrs] Conservatively handle
operand bundles."

A lot of the grunt work involved is making sure the optimizers don't
break code with operand bundles.  We're plan to start using operand
bundles to represent deopt state soon (in ~ weeks time) and I'm
counting on that to flush out most of the correctness related bugs.

There is also some additional bit of work to teach LLVM to work more
precisely with a specific "deopt" operand bundle type.  I plan to
upstream this last.

-- Sanjoy