[llvm-dev] Meet at MTV to discuss TSAN/android/aarch64?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 24 18:10:24 PDT 2015

Hi Jason,

I have a few additional points:

1. It works on glibc but not in bionic because glibc calls internal
allocation functions while bionic calls malloc/free, which get
instrumented when the thread is being destroyed. Calling bionic_malloc
on those cases should be enough to remove the problem altogether, but
we should not call bionic_malloc everywhere, since we want all other
calls to be instrumented and we don't want user facing behaviour to
change.

2. The changes to Android should be made in the implementation, not in
the header files. We're trying to avoid include nightmares and
pre-processor race conditions, as well as protecting users from
implementation details.

3. Google will prioritise pthread_barrier and other functionality that
helps TSAN works with bionic without the need for the TLS workaround
in compiler-rt. They'll also set up some internal bots to make sure we
test those things from now on.

cheers,
--renato