[llvm-dev] Meet at MTV to discuss TSAN/android/aarch64?

Jason Kim via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 24 11:18:51 PDT 2015

Hi everyone.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to meet yesterday. I think it was
very productive!

I am writing to keep a "minutes" of the meet, as I remember them.

Action Items:

   - Jasonk:  split up bionic patch to explicitly replace CPP macros with
   actual calls, one file at a time.
   - Google/Android: pthread_barrier interface in bionic
   - *Enh*:  1 paragraph to explain "namespacing" in bionic?? (in case we
   need to reconsider macro replacement again?)

Some technical notes/explanations that possibly weren't made clear at the
meeting.

The current compller-rt patch (on phabricator)  is already a pretty minimal
set. The only real bit of actual functionality (other than the
infrastructure bits to enable TSAN on android/aarch64) is the TLS
workaround.

i.e. the major pieces for my patch to compiler-rt are:

   - infrastructure (new definitions, cmake changes etc..)
   - TLS workaround
   - pthread_barrier-like interface for tests
   - disabling of some tests on android-aarch64

My current hypothesis is that the 120 tests (out of 200 or so)  that are
failing are due the behavioral mismatch of my "quick hack" to enable
barrier-like behavior on android. Assuming that Google's implementation of
the barrier interface on android/aarch64 is a better fit with linux-x86_64,
this will hopefully result in more tests passing.

   - *Very important info regarding why __bionic_XXX() replacement for
   calls to XXX() will most likely need to be "global" (within bionic) in most
   cases:*
      - deadlocks, crashes in TSAN were all due to unexpected interceptions
      WHILE a call was already being intercepted by TSAN.
      - The most obvious TSAN-only workaround is to ignore interceptions
      when this is taking place. This works for two threads, but
does not scale
      to more threads without the danger of TSAN missing events.
      - Any unexpected nested call chains in bionic that TSAN currently
      intercepts will either need custom coding in TSAN to explicitly
handle *(for
      all possible cases in which such call chains can occur)*, OR replace
      those calls in bionic with non-interceptible ones. The former will
      obviously add much more complexity to TSAN (to wit, additional testing
      failure vulnerability), while the latter will mean more (mechanical)
      changes to BIONIC. Currently, my thinking is that the latter, (being
      mechanical in nature) is preferable.
      - *To ENH: The same holds for calls to tcgetattr() --> ioctl(), and
      isatty() -> tcgetattr() --> ioctl() call chains. *TSAN intercepts
      tcgetattr() and ioctl(), and is not expecting recursive interceptions
      during them. Its not at all clear how to handle this within TSAN,
      especially among multiple threads. Even if a logic can be worked
out, it's
      fundamentally much clearer to simply disallow such interceptions to occur.

*Things that might require future discussion:*

   - need a build-bot/test bot on labs.llvm.org for
   android-bionic-aarch64-tsan tests to prevent insanity inducing regressions
   :-)

Thanks for reading!

-Jason