[llvm-dev] The Trouble with Triples

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 24 09:44:12 PDT 2015

On 24 September 2015 at 07:46, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com> wrote:
> If Triple is available then people will likely misuse it. Where sensible,
> I'd like it to have boundaries where it stops flowing and hands over to
> better representations in TargetMachine/MCTargetMachine/something-else.

So far, the misuse I've seen is due to history and bad documentation.
People will copy the pattern from other projects and fiddle with the
names until it works, since there's nowhere they can read as to any of
that means.

It's much like flowing concrete into an ants nest. It's supposed to
have a nice and functional design, but when you dig it up, there's
always more ramifications that you could ever expect. Only that we
can't do the same with triple usage (ie. know every usage and what
they meant vs. what they should mean), making this problem a lot
harder to map, understand and not break with global changes.