[llvm-dev] LLVM and XCode 7.0.0

Larry Gritz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 18 00:02:45 PDT 2015

After upgrading today to xcode 7, a bunch of my cmake build files stopped working, because we went from

    $ clang --version
    Apple LLVM version 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.53) (based on LLVM 3.6.0svn)

    $ clang --version
    Apple LLVM version 7.0.0 (clang-700.0.72)

See, so now anything that parsed this output to make decisions based on the underlying llvm/clang version no longer works, especially if interacting with non-Apple clang builds.

So...

First of all, can anybody say definitively which LLVM/Clang version corresponds to what Apple calls 7.0.0? Is there a web page somewhere with the list of correspondences?

And second, is there anything that the clang devs (or the Apple devs lurking) can do to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future? Those of us working on cross-platform products (or even solely on Apple, if switching back and forth between xcode's clang and custom built clang from source), really need a consistent way of determining which underlying version is being used.

Or am I missing something obvious that I should be doing to detect versions more robustly?

--
Larry Gritz
lg at larrygritz.com