[llvm-dev] RFC: LTO should use -disable-llvm-verifier

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 16 07:47:00 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>> On 2015-Sep-02, at 19:31, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 01:10:42AM +0000, Eric Christopher wrote:

>>> *nod* We could do that. Seems better than the alternative.
>>
>> +1
>
> Finally got back to this.  Done in r247729.
>
> I didn't modify gold-plugin.cpp, as I don't have a good way to test it,
> but someone else should be able to do it pretty easily.

I can do this for gold (presumably also controlled via an option, but
set default based on NDEBUG).

Couple questions:
- For your patch the default is set based on NDEBUG for lto.cpp, but
in llvm-lto it always defaults to false. Is that intentional?
- You mentioned that the verifier was currently being run 3 times: (1)
after parsing, (2) at the beginning of the optimization pipeline, and
(3) at the end of it. It looks to me like (1) is done via the
createVerifierPass() added in
LTOCodeGenerator::applyScopeRestrictions(). However, gold does not use
LTOCodeGenerator, and I don't see it explicitly adding an initial
createVerifierPass. So it looks like for gold it is only being called
twice (beginning of optimization pipeline and at the end). So I think
for gold I need to leave VerifyInput on the pass manager builder set
to true unconditionally in order to get an initial round of input
verification. Does that sound right?

Teresa

Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | tejohnson at google.com | 408-460-2413