[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] Ideas for making llvm-config --cxxflags more useful

mats petersson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 14 13:31:25 PDT 2015

So, I just raised a related issue on the IRC, and he conclusion was that
this email thread is probably the right place to bring this up...

Would it be possible to make llvm-config --cxxflags actually just produce
flags essential to compilinging and linking some arbitrary source outside
of llvm, without a strict requirement of "identical flags to the ones used
by the llvm Makefile"?

In my case, the main concern is that CXX in my Makefile needs to match that
which was used to build llvm, since llvm-config --cxxflags produces -Wfoo
and -Wbar that is useful for compiler X (clang in my case) but doesn't
"work" in compiler Y (e.g. some version of gcc). So it's required for my
project (that lives outside the llvm tree at the moment) to know which
compiler was used to build llvm.

--
Mats