[llvm-dev] Why does clang build native llvm-config? Is there any way to avoid it?

ed@modk.it via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 10 14:37:14 PDT 2015

I'm cross compiling llvm/libclang.  About halfway through a libclang build
cmake always runs another configure step in the NATIVE directory.

This causes problems with configuration settings and pre-compiler
definitions.  For instance I can't get __STRICT_ANSI__ to stay unset
through CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS.  It works for first 49% of the build but after
that reconfigure at the 50% mark in the NATIVE dir __STRICT_ANSI__ gets set
again causing the build to error out on  isascii calls.

After patching that I ran into a bunch of other issues including missing
strsignal and am beginning to wonder why we need a native llvm-config and
why we can't just point to it like we do native tablegen
(-DLLVM_TABLEGEN=path/to/llvm-tablegen)

Any thoughts?  Any way to avoid this step?  Any ideas where to start poking
around to understand how to get my includes setup properly for this native
build portion while not screwing with the cross compile?

P.S. The llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu email that used to work to post to the list
and the one posted here no longer works and is bouncing:
taken down in early August if that archive cutting off then is a sign.

Thanks!
Ed