[llvm-dev] Euro LLVM videos finally online - proposal to use torrents for sharing

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 8 12:26:59 PDT 2015

On 8 September 2015 at 19:20, Tanya Lattner <tonic at nondot.org> wrote:
> Youtube has been discussed in the past but we have usually defaulted to
> mainly hosted on llvm.org and then a copy could potentially be on YouTube. I
> would want this to be an official posting though.

Youtube is used by many foundations and conferences out there as the
official channel for their presentations, tutorial videos, outreach,
etc.

It can also be embedded in web pages, and there are good builtin
plugins for all mobile platforms and browsers. It's not as easy to
make an mp4 work out of the box in a way that you hope it would.

I don't see a problem in hosting the videos *in addition* to having
them in a CDN, but especially because Youtube is free and ubiquitous,
anything else (maybe apart from Vimeo) would be less ideal, especially
if they require plugins for browsers or mobiles, even if they're free.

cheers,
--renato