[llvm-dev] RFC: LTO should use -disable-llvm-verifier

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 4 16:04:28 PDT 2015

> On Sep 4, 2015, at 3:53 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 03:11:39PM -0700, Mehdi Amini wrote:

>>> That seems like a potentially valid use case, but if it doesn't actually
>>> work right now it doesn't really buy you much.
>>
>> It is working right now AFAIK. At least my understand is that the current situation is that you can drop a clang/libLTO built today on a machine that has ld64 from a few years ago and it will work.
>
> Is there anyone who actually needs to do this? Why can't they upgrade
> their linker?
>
>>> If this is indeed an abolute requirement, there are better ways of achieving
>>> this kind of thing without creating an API stability burden in LLVM. For
>>> example you could make libLTO a build product of ld64 rather than of LLVM by
>>> copying the tools/lto code into ld64 and using the preprocessor to make the
>>> code LLVM-version-dependent. This seems like it could be relatively easily
>>> achievable right now; all you'd need to do is switch the Xcode toolchain
>>> over to shipping the libLTO build product from ld64 instead of from LLVM
>>> (or even statically linking as Eric suggested). Any other existing clients
>>> of libLTO who care about this can do the same thing.
>>
>> It seems I’m missing something: the system ld64 linker will be shipped with a self-contained libLTO, but the new compiler I’ll drop-in will generate “new" bitcode that will be fed to this “old” libLTO, and that’s not gonna play well.
>> Unless you are only including the C API wrapper in ld64, but in this case I’m not sure I understand "using the preprocessor to make the code LLVM-version-dependent”.
>
> Yes, I mean only the C API wrapper, but the code would look like this:
>
> void lto_do_something() {
> #if llvm_version > 123
>  use_new_api();
> #else
>  use_old_api();
> #endif
> }
>
> for however many versions of LLVM you need to care about.
>
>> You will be able to build ld64 independently of LLVM, but how about at runtime? The compiler needs to ship a dynamic library that will be loaded by the linker, and there is still a need for a stable API there.
>
> There's no reason why the workflow needs to be "drop in some libLTO component
> built by LLVM on its own". If I'm doing something as unusual as building
> my own LLVM which I want to use with LTO it isn't so much of an additional
> burden to build some other component to make LTO work with my linker. That
> other component would live in the ld64 source tree and would either be ld64
> itself or what is currently the libLTO DSO.

Oh I think I got it, basically you ask about extracting the libLTO C wrapper outside of LLVM as a separate project, and up to us (or anyone who cares about C API stability) to maintain it up to date with respect to the current version of LLVM. And anyone that want to target LTO on an old system would have to checkout the version of this wrapper that matches the LLVM they are targeting, and then build and ship this wrapper alongside with LLVM.
Did I get it right?

Thanks,

—
Mehdi