[llvm-dev] Testing "normal" cross-compilers versus GPU backends

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 4 10:12:30 PDT 2015

>>> The Hexagon precedent is interesting; Krzysztof said they set the default
>>> triple, and didn't have to xfail all that much stuff.  Searching the tree,
>>> I find exactly 7 individual tests marked XFAIL: hexagon, plus it disables
>>> all of ExecutionEngine, and turns off the 'object-emission' feature.
>>>
>>> I'm curious if you would try setting the default triple to match your
>>> target, and see what /kinds/ of tests fail.  The raw number is much less
>>> interesting than in the categories.
>>
>> Failing tests attached, let me know which ones you’d like me to investigate.
>
> Tests:
> <failing_tests>
>
> (note I forced enable the “native” feature on this run)

So, just looking at the first one in that list for an example, running:
llc -mtriple amdgcn test/CodeGen/Generic/2002-04-14-UnexpectedUnsignedType.ll
you get an error of:
error: unsupported call to function bar in foo

...because apparently AMDGPU simply doesn't support function calls. At all.

That is a rather unusual feature to be missing, and I'd imagine is causing a fair number of the other nominally-generic tests to fail too...