[llvm-dev] Testing "normal" cross-compilers versus GPU backends

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 3 07:15:40 PDT 2015

On 9/2/2015 7:44 PM, Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev wrote:
> - Build LLVM with just the GPU backend, and not set a target triple
>    (i.e., it's set to the host triple, typically an X86-something).(*)
>    Thus lit.cfg sees matching host and target triples, but the X86
>    backend is missing, and so the "native" feature is not set.
>
> (*) This configuration seems inherently wrong; the default target triple
> ought to require having the corresponding backend included, I think.

I'm not very familiar with the "native" feature, so I'm not sure what
the impact is there, but it seems like setting the default target triple
to something that does not exist could be a way for a target to require
that the proper triple is provided explicitly.  This way any test that
does not explicitly contain a matching triple would be ignored on that
target.
This would still exclude large number of potentially useful tests, but
maybe it's a limitation of the testing that the target would be willing
to tolerate?

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation