[llvm-dev] RFC: PGO Late instrumentation for LLVM

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 2 10:01:20 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Ivan Baev via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 14:21:16 -0700
> > From: Rong Xu via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> > Cc: llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>, David Li <davidxl at google.com>
> Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] RFC: PGO Late instrumentation for LLVM

> optimizations, for instance, inlining does not fully use the profile counts
> counts. To evaluate the impact of profile context sensitivity, GCC is used
> more
> clang's
> used by
> measures
> profiling enabled with early inlining.
> EC

> Config                        wall_time_for_use  speedup_vs_(0)
> 0.934
> 1.000
> 1.249
> 1.640
> (v.s.
> (v.s.
> (i.e. 64.0% -33.7% - 7.1%), which is pretty significant.
>
> Rong,
> Sorry for the late response. Just wanted to clarify my understanding of
> data in (2) Performance impact of context sensitivity.
>
> On clang as an application:
> 3) Early inlining contribution is about 7.1%,

This is the effect of pre-inlining without profile guidance.

> 2) PGO w/o early inlining contribution is about 33.7%,
>
> 4) so the additional combined effect of 2 and 3 is about 22.2%, correct?

Not combined effect -- but remaining effect (by excluding 2 and 3)

> In other words, just avoiding inlining small/simple callees and updating
> their profile counts in the call graph by the main inliner - all through
> the use of early inlining - improves clang performance by 22.2%.

Not sure what you mean here. 22% is the estimate of the effect of CS
profile due to clones of profile counters during instrumentation (through
pre-inlining). Profile update with inlining always exist including in 2).

David