[llvm-dev] LLVM cross compiler toolchain on Windows x86

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 27 03:44:45 PDT 2015

On 27 October 2015 at 04:53, Sandeep Kumar Singh via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I want to build llvm/Clang cross compiler toolchain C and C++ for ARM on
> x86. Is there any available document or steps that can help me.

Hi Sandeep,

Clang is a cross-compiler by nature. If you build it without
additional options, you get all back-ends. But a few missing
components need to be supplied to complete the compilation, namely
libraries, special headers and a working linker.

On Linux, that'd be the GNU toolchain (glibc, binutils). On Windows,
you can try MingW. Some other people might help you with which other
ARM toolchains are available.

There are two main documents:

What are the perils and options of cross-compiling with Clang:
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/CrossCompilation.html

A use case: Cross compiling LLVM itself:
http://llvm.org/docs/HowToCrossCompileLLVM.html

These have a tinge of Unix in them, but a lot of it should be relevant
to Windows as well, especially if you use MingW (and Cygwin).

Hope that helps.

cheers,
--renato