[llvm-dev] Building LLVM Pass with in Source Tree

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 22 13:19:48 PDT 2015

Hello ,

I am following http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html this to build a
simple pass with in the source tree.

When I try to run make command on my pass directory. I am getting following
error:

../../../Makefile.common:60: ../../../Makefile.config: No such file or
directory

../../../Makefile.common:68: /Makefile.rules: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `/Makefile.rules'.  Stop.

But I think this common as I have not run ./configure on my source tree.
When I try to run ./configure on my LLVM source tree I am getting following
error:

configure: error: In-source builds are not allowed. Please configure from a
separate build directory!

Now I build LLVM with separate source directory and put my pass directory
inside of my build tree. Then I run make it builds successfully. opt is
able to load my pass correctly.
But here my question is " *Is this a correct way to build the pass ?*" and
if In-source builds are not allowed then
http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html needs to be updated.

Please guide !

--

*Vivek Pandya*