[llvm-dev] The future of LLVM's C APIs: Notes and BoF.

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 22 02:42:47 PDT 2015

On 22 Oct 2015, at 02:52, deadal nix via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Back on point, the importants things for me to do through the C API are :
>  - Write IR, including debug infos and other metadata (it is mostly good, some IR specificities are not covered, like ordered loads/stores, but these are edges cases that ca be added. I can prepare a patch if people want these).
>  - Read IR, so I can do transformations.
>  - Codegen to object files
>  - JIT (using MCJIT is fine, Orca would be better but making a good C api for it may prove challenging).

Just to clarify, are your requirements for:

- A C API?
- A stable C API?
- An ABI-stable C API?
- An API?
- A stable API?
- An ABI-stable API?

For most of these things, I’d be happy with a stable C++ API (ABI-stable within major releases, recompile - but nothing else - needed between), which could potentially be wrapped in a machine-generated C API for bindings in other languages.

David