[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 20 09:46:17 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On 19 October 2015 at 13:57, Renato Golin via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> On 19 October 2015 at 18:12, David Chisnall via llvm-dev
>> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>> One worry is that Apache 2 is incompatible with GPLv2 (is it incompatible with other licenses?)
>>
>> This is interesting, I did not know that...
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
>>
>> "Despite our best efforts, the FSF has never considered the Apache
>> License to be compatible with GPL version 2, citing the patent
>> termination and indemnification provisions as restrictions not present
>> in the older GPL license."
>
> :-(
>
> This means that for example using llvm for jitting stuff in a gpl2
> program is out.

No it isn't.
It means you can't grab the combined memory image out of memory and
ship that to others.

You could ship the non-combined program.
IE  You can ship an llvm jit and a gpl2 program, and jit the program
on the user's machine.

;-)

> Does anyone know of a list of current gpl2 programs?
> The two that come to mind are the linux kernel and git.

Kernel is GPLv2 only as well, so for example, you have the same issue
with any GCC jit (since it's GPLv3) ;)

> Does anyone know if the apache 2 is compatible with the various LGPL versions?

Yes, it is.