[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

Alexei Starovoitov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 20 09:15:42 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On 20 October 2015 at 16:59, Rafael EspĂ­ndola
> <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the apache 2 is compatible with the various LGPL versions?
>
> Wait, the BPF backend runs in the kernel. I'm not sure how integrated
> they are, or how relevant this is, but unlike llvm-gcc, the BPF
> backend would be a *big* shame to lose.

that's not a problem.
bpf backend produces code that runs in the kernel.
That's no different than x86 backend produces code that runs in the kernel.
bpf isa is free.
There is iovisor/bcc project that uses both clang rewriter and
llvm bpf backend statically linked, but it's using apache2 license,
so no problem either.