[llvm-dev] RFC: Second draft of an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 20 05:59:05 PDT 2015

On 20 October 2015 at 13:32, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Actually in Mid and South America, non-Christian religions are making a
> comeback, up to and including representatives of shamanic belief systems
> inaugurating a president.
> I.e. I think your analysis may be slightly off the mark here.

Indeed. Brazil is an even clearer case of religious mix. The idea was
just to show how confirmation bias can unconsciously turn into
prejudice.

> The knowledge that this can happen will in itself cause the committee to
> restrain any dictatorial ambitions, further reducing the issue a bit.

It's a balance, yes. But I'd rather not *have* to depend on community
pressure to keep such a powerful committee in check. As you said, that
pressure may not be wholly enforcible.

> OTOH any alternate proposals would need to be evaluated as well, and I have
> seen situations where the cure was as bad as the illness.

Absolutely. Another alternative is to not mention the committee or its
powers in the document in the first place, like the other CoCs
referred by the original post. I'd be ok with that.

cheers,
--renato