[llvm-dev] RFC: Second draft of an LLVM Community Code of Conduct

Pasi Parviainen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 19 19:27:02 PDT 2015

On 18.10.2015 12:31, Joachim Durchholz via llvm-dev wrote:
> Am 18.10.2015 um 05:24 schrieb Pasi Parviainen via llvm-dev:
>> On 14.10.2015 23:36, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev wrote:
>>> * **Be careful in the words that you choose.** We are a community of
>>>    professionals, and we conduct ourselves professionally. Be kind to
>>> others. Do
>>
>> What kind of professionals?
>
> In this context, I interpret "professional" to mean "we take this
> seriously", not "we make a living off it" nor "we have taken an exam"
> (neither of which is actually required).

Latter half of the statement as itself could be interpreted easily as
you did. But preceding "community of professionals" could be taken to
mean that this is related to a professional association, which can have
its own professional conduct that sets the expected standard for the
community. Hence the question "Which profession/association?".

>  > Professional boxers perhaps?
>
> That's exaggerating the wording, trying to lead it ad absurdum; it's a
> direct rhethoric attack, so your opponent has to deal with the feeling
> of being attacked.
> Also, it withholds the actual argument, so you're putting your opponent
> into an unclear situation, which causes stress.
>
> That's a good tactics to derail an opponent, but not a good one to
> cooperate towards a common goal.

Yes, it was an absurd example of possible guesses that can be made,
which is easy to discard as an answer when larger context is considered.
This to show that there is room for clarity, so such guesses would be
unnecessary.

I admit that I definitely could have been more clearer on my original
response.

Pasi