[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 19 12:59:16 PDT 2015

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:44 AM, C Bergström via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I really really do not like armchair lawyer discussions and this is
> just flamebait if I've ever seen it...
> #1 Is the submarine patent risk really that bad? (What's driving this)

It is a non-issue until it is a major issue.  As I tried to explain in the writeup, at best, “submarine patents” are at best a tertiary issue.  The other two issues are driving issues and actively causing a problem.

> #2 Pragmatically have "you" even considered how to execute on this
> relicense plan?

The answer is “yes”, but I’d prefer to keep the focus of this discussion on “what the right thing is” and now “how to roll it out”.  It is clear that it will take a lot of time and be expensive, but if relicensing is the right thing to do, then lets do it.

-Chris